Are you planning a road trip with kids?
As a former military spouse I had to road trip with my kids across the country multiple times and this was before every kid had a personal device to distract them. After road tripping well over twenty five thousand miles with my kids alone, I have some tips to make the drive easier on you and them. Here are my top 10 tips for road trips with kids.
10 Tips for Road Trips with Kids
1. Movie player! It will make the entire trip better if the kids can watch movies.
2. Get a new movie to watch during the drive. Kids will watch a new movie over and over. You can buy a new movie or you can hit a Redbox. It doesn’t matter where you rent the Redbox movie, because you can return it to any other Redbox in the nation.
3. Plan and play road trip games. Here are some suggestions:
4. Make the most out of a stop. Instead of stopping to eat and again for gas, stop somewhere you can do everything: gas, eat, and restroom.
5. Don’t let the kids gorge themselves on drinks. I let my kids have drinks, but I make sure to spread it out. This keeps us from making extra stops.
6. Pack meals around your schedule. If I’m waking the kids up at 5am to hit the road I feed them breakfast in the car. I will also pack a lunch to keep us from getting stuck in the drive through line during the lunch rush.
7. Bring snacks. I take fruit, chips, crackers, and anything else that’s simple.
8. Listen to an exercise song when everyone’s tired of being in the car. I have the Happy Butts cd. It’s a little silly, but it gets everyone moving and laughing. Best of all it keeps the driver active and awake.
9. Clean out the car at each gas stop. Don’t wait until you are at your destination, instead cleaning as you go will help maximize car space.
10. Take toys, for the drive. I let each kid pack a bag of stuff they want for the journey.
Road Trip with Kids Packing List
- Personal device
- Wifi Hotspot
Want even more tips? Check out my Road Trip Safety Tips!
Do you road trip with your kids? What is your top tip?