Why You Need a Luggage Scale & a Chance to Win One

Until recently I never needed a luggage scale and I think most people

luggage scaleprobably did not either. Unfortunately the airliners are getting stricter about luggage all the time. Now days it seems like the airlines always weight your bag and if your bag goes over weight it can cost you a lot.

My mom was recently charged $50 and her bag was only 2 pounds over the limit!

Now I recommend getting a Digital Luggage Scale.
The cost of a luggage scale is minimal and can save you lots of money when traveling.
As you can see they are pretty small and cheap. The most expensive scale I’ve seen was $30 which is still cheaper than paying the extra baggage fees.

Luggage scales really come in handy in Europe. There are a couple of low cost airlines in Europe that are super cheap to fly around on as long as you do not need to check any bags. The sticking point is keeping your carry-on suitcase below a certain weight to make sure you do not end up having to pay. Like Ryan Air allows a free carry on, but it has to weight under 40 lbs.

Comments

1. Charlet says

Travel money saving tip… Whenever you can, prepack snacks! Check ahead on websites or call to see if the place you are going allows outside food.

2. says

I don’t usually need to weigh my bags unless I am trying to squeeze a week worth or more, or if I bought a lot of stuff, or as you pointed out, travelling overseas which fulfills both those criteria! Packing a lil scale then saves you so much hassle versus hoping your hotel room already has one or asking for one to be sent up

3. Nancy says

To save money on travel, I always pack a plastic cup, packets of tea mix, and some snacks in my carry-on. I eat a big breakfast and have a snack for lunch.

• says

Nancy, That is so clever. I try to always at least take a water bottle, because my kids are constantly thirsty on planes and I don’t want to be stuck waiting on the drink cart.

4. Dawn S. says

I would only take carry-ons until I got married, but now I like to check bags on airlines that give free checked bags for military 🙂

• says

Dawn, I love that United lets military check a bag. We do that too when possible. Unfortunately we are usually traveling without my husband and I do not get the option without him.

5. Dawn S. says

To save money, especially on flights, I try to stay open to flying at less convenient times and look at other nearby airports and layover options in case that would give a lower ticket price.

6. Diana Flynn says

I prefer to check bags because it makes things easier while on the plane. When I travel without my toddler I do prefer to carry on!

7. K. Finn says

I try to find out what I can buy at my destination that is just as cheap as bringing it with me. I also use kayak.com to compare hotel prices.

8. Brandi Goolsby says

We check bags AND take carry ons lol! Curious to know…..why didn’t your mom just take some of the clothes out of her bag – for just 2 lbs? I’ve seen people literally putting shirts/ jackets over what they had on to make the weight requirement lol.

9. Rachel says

It honestly depends on the duration of the trip. If I’m spending the weekend in NYC I’ll bring a carry on. On the other hand if I’m going to Jamaica for 10 days I’ll definitely do a checked bag.

10. Diane L. says

When we go on vacation, it is generally for a week or more, so I can’t get by with just a carry on. I always check a bag.