New York City is one of the busiest cities in the world and it is such an exciting city to visit. There is so much to do and so many sights to see, but it also is a very expensive city to live in or even visit. A lot of the “attractions” and things you want to see in NYC cost a lot of money and that can really make your trip exceptionally expensive. However, what most people don’t know is that there are a ton of really great things that you can do in the Big Apple that are actually completely free! If you plan to make a trip to New York soon, try checking out some of these awesome and fun things to do while you are there that will save you a few dollars.
10 Free Things to Do in NYC
1. Visiting Central Park: Central Park is one of the most famous parks in the United States and it is a really awesome experience. It’s so nice to just walk around and enjoy the fresh air and take in the city! There are many playgrounds within the park.
2. New York Public Library: With the world of technology today, books are just not appreciated as often as they should be. Visiting the New York Public Library is an neat experience and I would highly recommend checking it out! Not to mention, it’s completely free.
3. The Bronx Zoo on Wednesdays: Who doesn’t love to go look at the amazing animals?! You can visit the Bronx Zoo on Wednesdays for completely free if you want, however donations are encouraged, no matter how little or how much you are able to donate.
4. The Staten Island Ferry: Although Staten Island Ferry Full Tours do cost money, if you are simply traveling from Staten Island to New York it is a free ride for you. This is a great way to get a scenic view without the cost. If you’re not one for guided tours, this is a great way for you to see things on your own.
5. Friday Afternoons at The New York Aquarium: Just like at the Bronx Zoo, Fridays after 3:00 PM is free admission at the New York Aquarium. Once again, donations are encouraged but not necessary! I personally love the aquarium, I prefer it over the Zoo but it’s personal preference.
6. Socrates Sculpture Park: If you are one that likes to appreciate the arts and sculptures, this is a great place to visit for you. It is a park so it is completely free of admission, and some of the pieces at this park are truly spectacular.
7. Bronx Museum: Another place for those who love the arts! The Bronx Museum has so many amazing pieces of art and history. This is such a beautiful museum and it truly is a sight to see. If you are looking for something spectacular to see, the Bronx Museum is highly recommended and completely free of charge.
8. Kayaking at the Downtown Boathouse: On those hot Summer days a great way to spend the day is to go kayaking on the Hudson River! It’s a very intense experience if you’ve never done it before, but it really is a fun time…trust me!
9. Coney Island Boardwalk: A good way to spend the day with your loved ones is to walk around the Coney Island Boardwalk. There is always a ton of things going on from shopping, activities, and even entertainment!
10. Visit the Brooklyn Botanical Garden: If you’re someone that loves plants and nature, a great place for you to visit is the Brooklyn Botanical Garden! Everything is absolutely beautiful and it’s so nice to visit and soak up the nature around you.
New York City is known as an incredibly busy city, and one of the biggest fashion capitals of the world, but I bet you didn’t know there is a completely different side to New York. There are so many sights to see and places to go in New York. Experience the whole city, not just the parts that you always hear about all the time!