As we make it through the long days of winter and ease our way into Spring, it will be time to take a fun family Spring break vacation before we know it. So, while it’s fun to splurge and enjoy eating out, especially while traveling, you don’t have to spoil eating habits at the same time. Below are some healthier and easy travel snacks to pack and bring along for the ride.
9 Healthy & Easy Travel Snacks
1. Mixed nuts. Not only are nuts such as almonds and walnuts a healthy choice because their high protein, they are easy and compact to pack and travel with on any trip.
2. Whole wheat crackers. Just add some low fat cheese from your cooler and you have a great snack to pass around and enjoy.
3. Granola bars. Again, an easy and transportable snack option, but be careful to check the ingredients and make sure you are buying low sugar options instead of the high calorie and chocolate only bars.
4. Turkey jerky. If you check in any supermarket in the organic aisle you can find an assortment of great tasting jerky that comes in easy to reseal packages. This protein packing snack is a super solution to hunger in between pit stops on the road.
5. Clementines. These little bundles of vitamin C are one of the best travel snacks. Not only are they easy to peel, but are sweet and juicy and kids love them.
6. Yogurt. So many flavors, so little road time. Individual low fat, low sugar yogurts are excellent snacks for a trip anywhere. Don’t forget to pack plastic spoons!
7. Popcorn. Pop your own low fat popcorn at home before heading out and store in individual zipped plastic bags. A fun idea is to label the bags with each person’s name on the trip to make it fun and add their favorite pretzel, nut, chocolate mini candy, or gummy candy to the bag as a personal treat.
8. Veggies. An easy and low cost snack is to pre-cut celery, carrots, and any other favorite vegetable your family enjoys. Keep in a cooler and pass around or enjoy at a picnic rest stop.
9. Applesauce. Now days you can get applesauce in those handy little pouches in all kinds of flavors. Make sure the sugar content is not too high, otherwise it isn’t healthy.
Vacations and family road trips area time for fun and creating lasting memories, so if you can eat a little more healthy while traveling, then you can have a lot more fun splurging when you reach your destination – without the guilt!