Capirotada Mexican Bread Pudding
½ pound of French bread cut into 1/2″ pieces
Eggs – 6
Milk – 6 cups
Sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.) – 1 can
Evaporated milk – 1 small can
Sugar – 1 cup
Ground cinnamon – 1/8 tsp.
Vanilla extract – 1/8 tsp.
Raisins – ¼ cup
Pecan pieces – ¼ cup
Step # 1
- Cut bread into ½ in. pieces. Place loosely on cookie sheet
- Place in a pre-heated 350° F. oven for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown
Step # 2
- In a mixing bowl place eggs, milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Using a wire whisk or an electrical hand mixer, mix well.
- Add toasted bread, raisins and pecans, mix and let it set for approx. 5 min. until toasted bread absorbs liquid.
Step # 3
- Fill a full size roasting pan ½ full of water.
- Place bread / liquid into a 4″ baking pan.
- Place baking pan with bread mixture uncovered inside roasting pan of water. (This will prevent drying / scorching of batter)
- Bake at 350° F. for approx. 1 hr. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick or a knife in the center of capirotada, when it comes out dry it is done.
Scotch Envinada Sauce
Scotch or sherry wine – 1 cup
Sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.) -1 can
Heavy cream – 2 cups
Step # 1
- In a sauce pan bring scotch or sherry wine to boil
- Reduce until you have about 1/3 of the liquid
- Transfer to a stainless steel bowl and place in refrigerator until cool.
- When liquid is cool, add the sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream.
- Using a hand mixer or electric mixer, whip until the consistency of a creamy sauce.
Serve over warm Capirotada. Garnish with caramel sauce and whipping cream as desired.