This is the Abuelo’s restaurant’s recipe for Chile con Queso. They graciously shared their exact recipe on their Facebook page and I made it immediately. It’s definitely a step up from the queso I usually make the kids, which is just Velveeta a can of Rotel and milk. Granted, my way is quick and easy! I only get to eat at Abuelos a few times a year when we are in Texas or Orlando, so I love being able to recreate their recipes at home. I may borderline stalk their Facebook page checking for recipes.
Abuelo’s Chile con Queso
- 1 lb. Velveeta
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1 TBS of butter
- 2 TBS of diced Poblano Peppers, seeded
- 2 TBS of diced jalapeños (use more if more heat is desired) seeded and deveined.
- 2 TBS of diced onions
- 2 TBS of diced red bell peppers
- Wash all produce before using.
- Cut Velveeta into 1/4" small pieces
- Mix Velveeta with milk and melt in a double boiler (or you can place in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for approximately 45 seconds, stirring once).
- While the cheese is melting, melt the butter in a sauté pan and add the rest of ingredients and cook until tender, being careful not to burn.
- When cheese mix is melted, add the sauté ingredients to bowl and using a plastic spatula fold together.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 25g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 135mg Sodium: 2315mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 15g Protein: 26g
More Abuelo’s Recipes:
- Abuelo’s Papas con Chili
- Abuelo’s Guacamole
- Abuelo’s Platinum Margarita
- Abuelo’s Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Shrimp
- Abuelo’s Salsa
- Abuelo’s Capirotada Mexican Bread Pudding