I love the 4th of July. Not only is it one of my favorite holidays, but it’s also my best friends birthday! Sadly, I never get to spend her birthday with her because she lives in Texas and I am still living up in Oregon. We did manage to go to Disney World together this year! (And torture Noah! Just look at that look on his face.)
Here in Oregon we always go to a parade in the morning, hit a bbq in the afternoon, and blow off a ton of fireworks in the evening. And of course you can’t leave out some 4th of July themed food like these patriotic mini chocolate doughnuts. Now, I still can’t make mini doughnuts as good as Pips in Portland, but I try. Here’s my recipe for mini chocolate doughnuts.
4th of July Chocolate Doughnuts
Mini doughnut maker
Non stick cooking spray
2 C plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 C cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 TBSP unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
1 C light brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 C buttermilk, shaken
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 container of vanilla frosting
- Spray your doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a saucepan, set over medium heat, add the butter.
- Allow to stand and melt for a minute or two and then mix with a spatula until smooth. Turn the heat off and then stir in the sugar and egg yolk.
- Lastly, whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until you no longer see any speckles of flour.
- Fill in the cake maker on one side and don’t over flow. Make sure to have a paper towel under the machine in case some batter comes out of the sides.
- While those are cooking, 5-7 minutes max, put the container of icing into the microwave, lid and foil removed.
- Melt the icing for 30 seconds and mix with a fork.
- Once doughnuts are cooled, place onto a plate and drizzle the icing and sprinkle with some sprinkles or leave them plain.