For the last two years in a row we have been given a free National Parks Pass for Military. How awesome is that! When we arrived at a park that required a paid entry we were issued one for free on-site. Once at Lewis and Clark’s near Astoria and once around Newport when we went to see a lighthouse. Most National Parks can ussue one of these passes, but not all of them.
Military National Park Pass Benefits
- Admits the pass owners and any accompanying passengers in a private, non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas, or the pass owner and up to additional 3 adults at sites that charge per person.
- Covers entrance to Fish and Wildlife Service and National Park Service sites that charge Entrance Fees, and Standard Amenity Fees at Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation sites.
- Available to US military members and the dependents of deployed military in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, as well as most members of the US Reserves and National Guard. Proper military ID is required (CAC Card or DoD Form 1173).
Free Entry Days at National Parks
If you are not affiliated with the military there are other times that you can get into the National Parks for free.
For 2019, April 20th is the first day of free entry.
April 20th marks the first day of National Park Week National Park Week has been going strong since 1991 and the Foundation is always finding new ways to celebrate.
- April 18th – 1:00 pm Twitter chat with the hashtags #FindYourPark and #EncuentraTuParque
- April 20th – Entrance Fee-Free Day and National Junior Ranger Day
- April 21st – Military & Veterans Recognition Day
- April 22nd – Earth Day
- April 23rd – Transportation Tuesday
- April 24th – Wild Wednesday
- April 25th – Throwback Thursday
- April 26th – Friendship Friday
- April 27th – Bark Ranger Day
- April 28th – Park Rx Day
Now you may be wondering which park to visit. Some of our favorites are:
- Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area in Oregon
- Lewis & Clark National Historical Park in Astoria, Oregon
- Bonneville Lock and Dam in the scenic Columbia Gorge
- San Antonio Missions
- Niagara Falls