I am totally obsessed with bath bombs. Ever since I discovered Lush I’ve had a slight addiction to them, which is unfortunate because they are super expensive. I finally learned how to make my own bath bombs, thanks to my friend Holly. It turns out they are super easy to make and they make awesome gifts!
Table of Contents
How to Make Bath Bombs Step by Step
You can use any scent you want in your bath bombs. I recommend peppermint because it’s my favorite, but you can use whatever oil you want. I recommend buying Doterra oils or Young Living oils. I’ve used both and found that they both work well. You can buy Bath bomb molds on Amazon. They have all sizes and shapes. I just use the regular round ones.
Bath Bomb Supplies
- Bath bomb molds
Bath Bomb Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Citric Acid
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Mineral Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. Castor Oil
- 20 drops of Peppermint essential Oils
- 1 or 2 drops food coloring or soap color
Bath Bomb Directions
Mix dry ingredients evenly in a bowl: baking soda, mineral salt, cornstarch, and citric acid.
Mix liquid ingredients in a separate bowl and stir evenly.
Mix the liquid mix into the dry mix slowly.
Pack the mix into the molds, it will clump together. Once you’ve created a nice round bath bomb carefully take it out of the mold. You may need to help it out with light tapping.
Set the bath bomb aside and let it harden.
Copy Cat Recipes for Lush Bath Bombs
If you google Lush bath bomb recipes you will find all kinds of knock off recipes. This is the best one I have found so far. This recipe is great because these are made with the oils that people typically have. All starter kits seems have Peppermint, Lemon, and Lavender oils in them.
Lush Bath Bomb Supplies:
- 2 Cups Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Citric Acid
- 1 Cup Corn Starch
- 3 tsp Almond oil
- 12 drops essential oils (4 drops each of Peppermint, Lemon, and Lavender oils.
- 8-10 drops food coloring (optional)
- Rubbing alcohol (in a spray bottle)
- Bath bomb molds
Lush Bath Bomb Directions
- Add Almond Oil and essential oils to a small bowl and mix well.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add the oils to your dry ingredients, slowly mixing as you go.
- Add the food coloring while mixing. (Optional)
- Spray your mixture 5-10 times with rubbing alcohol while mixing until it resembles the texture of damp sand and sticks together.
- Add a heaping amount of your bath bomb mixture to your mold.
- Press the mixture into the mold. Add a bit more to the top and press it all over again. This will help make a solid bath bomb.
- Lightly mist the top of your bath bombs with alcohol. Be careful not to use too much.
- Let it dry for at least 10 minutes.
- Flip mold over and lightly tap the mold with your spoon or finger. This will cause the bath bomb to pop out.
- Mist the top of bath bomb with alcohol.
- Let it dry overnight.
Body Butter Recipe
Melt coconut oil and mango butter in a double broiler, stirring constantly. Once liquified, remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes. Once cooled, add sweet almond oil and essential oils. Stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes of until semi solid. Next whip until thick and creamy. It will become whiter. Add to jars and place to fridge to set.
Unicorn Bath Bombs Recipe
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid (It’s better to buy in bulk on Amazon)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons bentonite clay (You can buy it from Amazon)
- 2 tablespoons Milk and Honey Epsom salts (You can buy it from Amazon)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (You can buy it from Amazon)
- 1 teaspoon polysorbate 80 (I get mine on Amazon)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa butter (You can buy it from Amazon)
- 10-20 drops cardamom essential oil (I get mine from this set on Amazon)
- 10-20 drops cedarwood essential oil (I get mine from this set on Amazon)
- 1-2 tablespoons of purple, blue, pink, yellow & green mica colorant (You can buy it from Amazon)
- 1-2 teaspoons of white cosmetic glitter in each of the smaller bowls (You can buy it from Amazon)
- Stainless steel bath bomb molds (I get mine from Amazon)
- Mini muffin tin (optional) (I get mine from Amazon)
- Spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol
- 1 large mixing bowl (I get mine from Amazon)
- 5 small bowls (I get mine from Amazon)
Unicorn Bath Bombs Directions:
Steps 1-6: In a large mixing bowl, add the baking soda, bentonite clay, citric acid, Milk and Honey Epsom salts and cornstarch. Whisk dry ingredients together.
Steps 7-8: Add the coconut oil. This binds all the ingredients together. Add in the cocoa butter. This not only helps bind everything together as well, but also moisturizes your skin.
Step 9: Add the polysorbate 80. This helps the coconut oil disperse more evenly in your bath water, makes the bath bombs bubbly and prevents the mica from sticking to the side of the tub.
Steps 10-12: Add the essential oils and glitter. Mix well. You may need to use your hands to break down any lumps and make sure everything is mixed in. The mixture is perfect when it holds together when you press it into your hands and feels like wet sand.
Steps 13-14: Separate the mixture into the 5 smaller bowls. Mix in 1 in tablespoon of the purple mica in one, the blue in another, the yellow in one, the pink in one and green in the last bowl.
Steps 15-16: Layer the mixture into each side your bath bomb mold until the mixture is slightly overflowing. Press molds together and grind gently to remove excess mixture. Gently tap each side of the mold to release the bombs.
Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.