On a cold day, there are fewer things more enjoyable than a piping hot bowl of soup. This Italian Sausage Wedding soup is sure to warm you and your family up.
To use up leftover ingredients I often make soup or curry. The soup I am sharing today I typically make to use up random pasta and kale. I use kale to make a copycat Zuppa Toscana soup and I always have plenty of kale leftover.
Italian Sausage Wedding Soup Recipe
1 lb ground Italian Sausage
1 red onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
6 cups chicken broth
3 – 4 packed cups kale, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup small pasta
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet over medium heat, add in ground sausage and cook until browned. Drain off the grease and return to heat and add in onions and carrots, cook until onions tender. If you are using frozen onions cook the veggies for at least 3 minutes.
2. Transfer the meat and veggies into a soup pot.
3. Add in chicken broth, kale, lemon juice, garlic, bay leaf, and crushed red peppers. Stir to combine.
4. Boil the pasta, drain and add to the soup.
5. Let soup simmer 20-30 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper
Optional: Top with Parmesan cheese on top.
More Soup Recipes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 4 packed cups kale, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup small pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
Place olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add in ground sausage and cook until browned.
Drain off excess fat, return to heat and add in onions and carrots, and saute
Transfer the mixture into a large pot. Add in chicken broth, kale, lemon juice, garlic, bay leaf, crushed red peppers and stir well.
Boil pasta separately, drain, and then add to the other ingredients.
Bring the soup to a boil and then drop the temperature to simmer.
If needed season with salt and pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 781mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.