Did you know that you can now get a Jeep Wrangler as a hybrid? Keep reading to see why the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon was chosen as the Green SUV of Texas by the Texas Auto Writers Association.
Table of Contents
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I tested out two different Rubicon versions but there are two other trim levels the Sahara and High Altitude. No matter which trim level you decide on, all of the Wrangler 4xe models are built in the 4-door Wrangler Unlimited configuration. This gets you those good-looking electric blue accents, tow hooks, and electric blue stitching on the seats and trim.
Three Trim Levels:
- 4xe Sahara, the most off-road-capable Rubicon and the top-tier trim added last year with a starting price of $47,995
- Wrangler 4xe Rubicon starts at $51,695. The one I drove was fully loaded and priced at $61,265.
- High Altitude starts at $53,570.
None of these prices include a destination charge likely around $1,495. These prices also do not factor in any federal or state tax credits you may be eligible to use. When you hear people talk about getting it for much cheaper (this is why) they are factoring in the tax credits.
To be honest I didn’t expect much from a hybrid and I was super disappointed that they brought me a hybrid. I still personally wouldn’t buy the hybrid version or the soft top version but even I have to admit it was great. The Wrangler 4xe has a high-tech hybrid powertrain that combines two electric motors with a turbocharged 2.0-liter gasoline engine for a total system output of 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. Power output for the 2.0-liter engine alone is 270 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. The power is delivered through an 8-speed automatic transmission and standard full-time 4-wheel drive.
According to Jeep, the Wrangler 4xe will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 6.0 seconds. I forgot to test this out so I cannot confirm this but I am sure it’s true. The Wrangler 4xe received an EPA rating of 49 MPGe when operating in electric mode, and has a full-electric range of 21 miles. To me, that’s pretty meaningless. I know someday these electric miles will be longer but for now they are still mediocre.
The 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe features regenerative braking that captures electricity to charge the battery. The driver can also select Max Regen which generates more electricity. I like that it has this feature, but I didn’t experience much gain if any from using it. I never put it in Max Regen, so that is probably why the gains were not more impressive.
Jeep is working to establish the ‘Jeep 4xe Charging Network’ by installing EV Level 2 charging stations at Jeep Badge of Honor off-road trailheads around the United States. Moab, Utah, Rubicon Trail, and Big Bear will be the first locations. The Jeep 4xe Charging Network is operated by Electrify America and Jeep 4xe owners will receive free charging through a custom mobile app. Jeep 4xe charging stations will either be connected to the grid or use solar power to generate electricity.
If you are worried about charging your 4xe you can get an adaptor for the Tesla plug. Most public charging stations use J1722. and that’s good news because that is what you need to charge but this isn’t what Tesla uses. The Lectron adapter will allow you to use a level 2 destination Tesla charger.
Wrangler 4xe E Driving Modes
The 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe offers three E Select modes. Inside the Uconnect infotainment system, there is a place where you can choose between Battery Save or Battery Charge in eSave mode.
- Hybrid: A combination of power from the 2.0-liter engine and the electric motor which uses battery power first, then switches to the engine after the battery charge runs out, or if extra power is needed.
- Electric: It will operate with electric power only until the battery is depleted, which fully charged will get you 21 miles. However, even in this mode if you need more power it’s going to lean on the engine to make that happen.
- eSave: Uses power from the engine to save the battery life for later use.
Removable Top Options
All Wrangler versions offer open-top options and the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is no exception. A Sunrider soft-top is standard equipment for Sahara and Rubicon, as well as an optional 3-piece hardtop.
The one I drove had a soft top but you had to manually take it all off and put it back on. I found this to be a lot of work. I got to drive a slightly different version at the Texas Truck Rodeo (the pink one in this post) and it had a button you could push to open up the top. This was way better. If I was purchasing one I would buy the removable hardtop for less road noise while driving.
This Jeep was loaded with tech. Some of the things I appreciated the most were Apple Car Play, remote start system, 8.4-inch touchscreen, heated seats, and adaptive cruise control. Here’s a rundown of some of the tech in the Jeep:
- Alpine Premium Audio System
- 2 USB ports upfront
- 4G LTE WiFi
- Cluster 7.0 Inch TFT Color Display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Voice Command with Bluetooth
- Power Heated Mirrors
- Automatic Headlamps
- Remote Start System
- Full speed forward collision warning
- Advanced brake assist
- ParkSense Rear Park-Assist system
Yes, you can off-road the hybrid version. I mean, it wouldn’t be a Jeep if you couldn’t go nuts in it.
- 2 Front and 1 rear two hook
- 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Durty Full time 4WD system
- 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
- TruLok Front and Rear Axles
- Rock-protection sill rails
- 17-inch wheels with BFGoodrich K02 33-inch off-road tires
Jeep wrangler towing capacity
The towing capacity is 3,500 pounds. That’s enough to tow the following: two ATVs, jet skis, a pop-up trailer, two motorcycles, a tear-drop trailer, and much more.
Best Bike Rack for Jeep Wrangler
We like to take our bikes with us depending on what we are up to. The bike rack I had worked fine with it but I had to use an adaptor. I looked up to see what would work better and found the best bike rack for a Jeep.
Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks: Quick install locking hitch. Ability to tilt the entire thing away from the car. Extends out far enough that the spare tire mounted to the back of the car is a non-issue.
Other Things to Know
- It can fit two car seats in the back row and a third child can sit in between. I do not think it can fit a third car seat.
- 5 year or 60,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
- 10 year or 100,000-mile Hybrid System Limited and High Voltage Battery Warranty
- 3 year or 36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty
All in all, I really enjoyed my time in the hybrid Jeep Wrangler and would seriously consider buying it. I love the fact that you can get a rooftop tent for a Jeep.
2020 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack Plus
Leave A Comment