Disneyland has added a Halloween party to California Adventure, the Oogie Boogie Bash. Like all special evening events at Disneyland the Oogie Boogie Bash has a special show, parade, fun Halloween food, trick or treat trails, character encounters, and much more.
We had the opportunity to attend the opening night of the Oogie Boogie Bash with other media and influencers. The Oogie Boogie Bash replaced Disneyland’s Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween party. All four of us had a wonderful time. This was our last trip all together before I take Noah to college. I can’t thank Disney enough for allowing us the opportunity to make one last memory before he goes.
Currently, this event is already sold out, but you never know they might add dates. If not, you can still see all the fun that will be in store for you next year when you can attend in person.
Who is Oogie Boogie?
First a little housekeeping. Who is Oogie Boogie and why is he hosting this Halloween party? Oogie Boogie is from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas. I’m not sure why he is the “host” of the event, but it works well. Someone has to host.
What to Expect at the Oogie Boogie Bash
There’s all kinds of fun in store for you at the Oogie Boogie Bash. Here’s a breakdown of all the special features during the party.
Mickey’s Trick or Treat
If your child watches Disney Junior then you will want to make sure you catch this special show. It’s super cute. I accidently took my teens to see this, but they were good sports about it. If you have tweens or teens I recommend skipping this show. The show is in the Disney Theater in Hollywood Land.
The DescenDANCE party is at the Backlot area in Hollywood Land where you and your family will be lead through super fun dances. The dance parties continue to be one of my most favorite things at Disney.
Frightfully Fun Parade
During the Oogie Boogie Bash there is a short parade and of course it kicks off with the headless horseman. The parade features lots of villains as well as Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
World of Color Spectacular – “Villainous!”
For the Oogie Boogie Bash Disney put together a brand new World of Color show that can only be seen during the event at 9:00 P.M. and again at 10:45 P.M.. It runs about 20 minutes and it is fantastic! It is about a little girl deciding what she is going to be for Halloween, a princess or a villain. She ends up stepping through a magic mirror encounters lots of villains including the Ursula, Hades, Jafar, Maleficent and other favorites.
I loved the new show. And as always I am so impressed by Disney. This one includes fountains, lights, lasers, projections and special effects. I managed to record the entire thing, more or less. Here it is:
Villains Grove is a super colorful, black light maze set inside the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail near the Grand California hotel. It’s neat to look at. Our friend that was with us, was blown away by all the colors and details. You can capture a cool photo for your Instagram here.
Trick or Treat Trails
There are lots of places to trick or treat throughout the park, including some more entertaining trails with characters in them. There are 5 trails that have entertainment weaved in. You can find the following characters on these trails: Maleficent near Soarin, the Mad Hatter near Hyperion Theater, Dr. Facilier by Stage 17, Oogie Boogie near the Animation Academy and the Evil Queen near the Grizzly River Run.
All the other trails are just the regular trick or treat trails without any extras. It can be a bit odd watching adults trick or treat, so fair warning, you are going to see a lot of this.
Guardians of the Galaxy Monsters After Dark
During the event there is a different story line at the Guardians of Galaxy ride. It is a continuation of the story earlier in the day. You will want to make sure to ride this. The ride switches to Monsters After Dark at 4 PM, before the party starts. This means that if you are there early, you might be able to use a MaxPass and ride it quickly.
Halloween Food at Disney
One of the best reasons to visit during the Halloween season is the food. All across Disneyland and California Adventure you will find limited edition foods. The white Mickey Mouse Macaroon was outstanding. I almost had to have another, but restrained myself!
Wear a Costume
You should absolutely wear a costume to the party. Do not worry about whether or not you are too old to wear a costume because I promise you almost everyone will be wearing a costume. I went as Captain Jack Sparrow, Noah was Starlord, Eden was Gamora, and Jonah was Rocket.
Keep in mind that California is HOT, do not overdress. Now there are some restrictions and I am going to attempt to break them down.
- All Guests may dress as their favorite character during the event.
- Everyone’s costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
- Dress up clothes may not contain any items that resemble or could be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- Costumes may not contain sharp/pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another.
- Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening
- Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground.
For Guests Ages 13 and Under
- Costumes and some masks may be worn as long as the entire face isn’t covered and eyes are visible.
For Guests Ages 14 and Older
- Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
- Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts and hats are permitted.
- Acceptable accessories include transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords and tutus.
- Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
- Masks of any kind may not be worn.
Oogie Boogie Bash Event Details
- A Disney Halloween Party at Disney California Adventure Park only.
- Select nights September 17 – October 31, 2019
- Tickets cost between $110 – $140. They are not offering any type of military discount.
- The party runs from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM
- Ticket holders can enter the park at 2:00 PM on Sundays as well as October 29 and 31, 2019.
- Ticket holders can enter the park at 3:00 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Tickets are not required for Guests younger than 3 years old.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older.
- Party tickets include free Photopass downloads as well as MaxPass access during the regular park hours before 6 pm. Once the party starts, there’s no MaxPass.
- There is no fireworks show.
- Unfortunately, parking is not included with your ticket. Parking is $25 per vehicle.
Tips for Attending the Oogie Boogie Bash with Teens
I am basing all of these tips on our experience. I have two teens and one tween.
- Dress Up
- Skip Trick or Treating
- Walk around and enjoy the decorations. Sometimes, it’s just interesting to see the changes. Some are really funny.
- Do not plan on doing everything. Teens like a slower pace, they do not care if they miss half the stuff.
- Ride the Incredicoaster as many times as you can at night. It’s completely different at night.
- They probably will not be into the World of Color Show or the parade. (My boys were not into either, my daughter totally was.) In order to watch both, find somewhere to sit where they can enjoy appetizers and drinks. Teens need to be well fed at all times. For the Frightfully Fun Parade, hang out at the Pacific Wharf Cafe or Cocina Cucamonga. For the World of Color, you can get a side view from the Lamplight Lounge and your kids can get some sort of fun drink and parents can get a cocktail.
- When you leave the park head to Salt and Straw or Balck Tap in Downtown Disney for ice cream.
- Plan to be there until the end. After the World of Color lots of families will leave because they have little kids. Once they’ve cleared out, it’s easy to blast through the rides.
- Be sure to visit the Haunted Mansion to see the Jack Skellington theme. My kids hated it, they want the regular theme, but it’s definitely worth seeing.
Oogie Boogie Bash Disneyland FAQs
I’ve gotten a few of the same questions over and over again. Instead of answering one at a time, I put together this FAQ section in hopes it will answer some of your questions.
Is there an Oogie Boogie Bash dining plan?
No, as far as I am aware there is no dining plan for Oogie Boogie Bash.
When does Oogie Boogie Bash start?
These special Halloween parties begin in mid-September. The official start time is 6 pm.
What time does Oogie Boogie Bash end?
The party ends at 11 PM.
Where can I buy an Oogie Boogie Bash shirt?
I’m sure there’s lots of places in the park you can buy them. Although I don’t recall seeing any, I wasn’t looking for any either. There’s lots of shirts on Etsy.