Here are tons of Pinterest tips to help you get started. Whether you are selling products or trying to increase blog pageviews these tips will help you immensely.
These Pinterest tips should be a good starting point for anyone who has already signed up for an account and linked their account to their blog.
- Connect your profile to Facebook and Twitter
- Make sure your profile picture is of you, not something random or a logo.
- In your profile description, include keywords to describe yourself: Travel blogger. If you connect your account to twitter, then your twitter description will show up as your profile description.
Table of Contents
Tips for Pinterest Boards
- Create boards based around the content you write. Example: Disney, Recipe, DIY, Crafts, Beauty….
- Keep your board secret until you have at least 5 pins on it.
- Utilize keywords in the title of the board. For example Travel with Kids, Travel Tips, Recipes
- Make sure you’ve selected the most fitting category for all of your boards.
- Add a description to each board. This is the best place to add hashtags. For example #travel #Disney
- Make sure the cover photo for each of your boards is the best out of all the pins on the board.
- As you grow your board maintain a 50/50 ratio: 50% your content and 50% others content
- Use Pingroupie.com to find larger boards to join.
- It is better to pin vertical photos than horizontal photos.
- You can and should pin your videos.
- Do not pin a lot at once. Instead, pin for five minutes here and there throughout the day.
- Add a clear to the point description to every pin. Include one hashtag! This is more important with the new search tools.
- Enable rich pins for your website.
- The best times to pin are 2-4 PM EST and 8-1 AM EST and Saturday mornings.
- If you want to pin your post to multiple boards do it over the course of a week. You do not want to spam someone else’s feed. OR make sure you have lots of good photos in the post and pin a different photo to each board.
- Ahalogy is a good tool for pinning your content to multiple boards.
- If you have an excellent photo on Instagram you can pin it. You manually add it using the url to the photo for example http://instagram.com/p/tp7eacKZ9s After adding it you can go in and edit the pin to direct to any url you choose.
**Enroll in the Boost Your Business with Pinterest course.**
Tips for Gaining Pinterest Followers
- Join www.ViralWoot.com where you can get free followers or pay for followers. Once you sign up be sure to watch their tutorial which does a good job explaining how it works.
- Create a collaborative board or join one relevant to your blog. Try to join one that’s relevant and has a massive following.
- Use Pingroupie.com to find larger boards to join.
- Tweet your pins occasionally, once a day is fine. Share on Facebook based on your friends. This works great for a few, but not for the majority. Share a #PinOfTheDay on your Facebook page or Google+ page and yes, use the hashtag.
- Comment on others pins. Others that re-pin it will see your comment and hopefully will follow you.
Pinterest for Your Blog
- Add a Pin It button to all of your posts. The best place for it is with your other social media buttons.
- Verify your website on Pinterest. This option is found under settings after you have switched to a business account.
- If you have an article people would love make sure it has a pinnable graphic! Go back and add photos if you need to.
- If you would like a Pin It button to show up on your photos install the JQuery Pin It button plugin. Then go into settings and change the minimum size to 200×200. You only want images this size or larger to be pinned.
- To see what has been pinned from your website go to http://www.pinterest.com/source/insertnameofyourblog.com, do not include the http or www. or you can search your blog in the Pinterest search tool and select that it shows you all pins.
- If you have content that is doing well on Pinterest create more of it!
When you find what has been pinned from your site be sure to 1) Like or comment on the pin to increase the ranking of the pin and expand it’s reach 2) Repin the most interesting and unique images. 3) Follow those who pinned your pages. This may encourage them to return to your site.
- Add a Pinterest widget to the sidebar of your blog. This widget will show your most 30 most recent pins and direct your readers straight to your Pinterest account. It’s easy to set up from this Pinterest link. http://business.pinterest.com/widget-builder/#do_pin_it_button Choose Profile Widget.
Should you convert your Pinterest account from a personal account to a business account? YES
- You must switch to a business account in order to access to Pinterest analytics.
- You will only have access to analytics for 1 url.
- Check your analytics to see what your most popular content is. Once you know what people like you can make sure to give them more of what they want.
- Google analytics will also tell you which pin is driving the most traffic. Open up analytics then click on Acquisition, click on Social, click All Referrals and finally click on Pinterest. You will then see a list of all the social channels that refer traffic to your site. Click on Pinterest and it will show you a list of which Pinterest url referred you traffic and how much.
Making Pinable Graphics
- If you have a post that needs a pin friendly graphic you can make one at one of these sites.
- Collages do well on Pinterest as well, especially vertical collages. Learn how to make a collage.
If you do not have a good photo to use you can get one from one of these sites.
http://www.istockphoto.com/photo just scroll down and click on the free photo of the week. You will then be led to more free photos. Remember pictures with words on them get more repins.
Font Tips for Pinterest
Wondering what font to use? Here is a cheat sheet.
How to Make Collages for Pinterest
Leave A Comment