Best Buy sent us a Nest Hello and a Nest Yale Lock to review and I will just warn you now, I LOVE both of these products so much it is borderline ridiculous. I love being able to see who is at my door and feel like our home is much safer with these two products.
*Both of these products require wifi to work.
Nest Hello – Video Doorbell: Know who’s knocking!
Nest Hello lets you know who’s there, so you never miss a visitor or a package. And with 24/7 streaming, you can literally check in anytime.
Nest Hello Features:
- Know who’s knocking: Get an alert and talk to visitors at your door from anywhere. Each time the camera senses someone at the door you receive a notification on your phone.
- HD video: Delivers bright, crisp images day or night. Here’s what it looks like at night with the porch light turned off.
- Intelligent alerts: Smart enough to detect a person, then alert you even if they don’t ring. If someone is dropping off a package or soliciting, you know without ever having to answer the door.
- HD Talk and Listen: Hear visitors loud and clear. Earlier this week we had two different sets of solicitors come by the house. I checked on my phone to see who was at the door and didn’t bother to answer either time. I sat on my couch listening to them talk, but chose not to speak back through the Nest Hello. I find this to be much safer than opening the door and saying no thank you.
- Bigger picture: See people head to toe or packages on the ground. Look how much I can see from my Nest!
- 24/7 streaming: Check in anytime and view a 3-hour snapshot history to see what you missed. Our neighborhood has had some car break ins lately and a definite perk for me being able to go back to review video is to check for evidence.
- Connect to Google Home: You can have your Google Home announce when someone rings the Nest Hello.
- Familiar Faces: If you want, you can turn on face recognition inside the app. It sounds kind of creepy, but it’s really neat. Now whenever the kids go in and out it alerts me, but the alert includes there name. Here’s how to use it in the app: 1) Teach your camera by telling it who you know. And who you don’t 2.) When Nest Hello is wrong, let it know by deleting the picture from your face library. 3.) You can also assign a name to the face so your notifications can tell you who the camera saw.
- Works with a Smart Watch: I get alerts and can monitor things right from my Apple Watch.
Nest Hello Compatibility Check:
In order to use Nest Hello, you need to have a wired doorbell and chime already installed in your home. Nest Hello uses your doorbell’s existing wiring to power its 24/7 continuous video streaming.
- For step by step instructions to check compatibility with your current doorbell, visit the following article: How to tell if Nest Hello will work in your home
- Here’s a quick summary, but make sure to visit the article above for full details:
- Nest Hello works with most low voltage doorbell wires that are 14 to 30 V AC as measured by a multimeter, or with a transformer labeled from 16 to 24 V AC.
- As long as you have wiring with enough power, you can install Nest Hello.
- If you have a wireless (completely battery powered) doorbell, you won’t be able to use Nest Hello.
Nest Hello Installation
I recommend having the Best Buy Geek Square install the Nest Hello. Right now they are offering free installation until May 15, 2018. I had them install mine and they were professional, efficient and tidy. I was happy to have someone else drilling into my siding and taking care of the electrical work.
Nest Yale Lock – Keyless Entry!
Nest Yale Lock is a secure, tamper-proof lock. It is keyless, so you can lock and unlock the door from anywhere with the Nest app, even when you are away from home. This is awesome for people that travel a lot.
Nest Yale Lock Features:
1) Keyless deadbolt: It’s secure and tamper-proof. No lost keys. No picked locks.
2) Remote access: Lock and unlock the door with the Nest app no matter where you are without a key. This is huge for our family. My kids constantly lock themselves out of the house and the Nest Yale Lock has completely eliminated this issue!
3) Unique passcodes: You can give out different passcodes to family and guests. You can even set schedules dictating when the lock will let them in. This is perfect if someone is house sitting for you or if you have a house cleaner.
4) Access history: Get alerts when someone locks and unlocks the door.
5) One-touch locking: Just tap to lock on your way out. It’s so easy to use all three of my kids have been able to use it with no issues.
Nest Yale Lock Installation
Like the Nest Hello, I recommend having the Best Buy Geek Square install the Nest Yale Lock. My door frame was slightly off and they fixed it in no time. Had I been installing this myself, I would have been struggling. Right now Best Buy is offering free Geek Squad installation with any Nest purchase.