In Burlington, Vermont, love is always in the air for a romantic getaway! The air is crisp, the maple syrup is sweet, and the views are amazing. Whether you’re a couple looking for a cozy retreat in the winter or adventurers seeking your next thrill on the water, Burlington has something for you.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the perfect romantic getaway in this charming city full of artists, ethnic food, music, and more locally-made goods than you can imagine!
Table of Contents
Burlington, Vermont Romantic Getaway
From Burlington’s cozy accommodations to the city’s unique blend of urban charm and scenic natural setting, it offers a romantic ambiance that’s hard to find anywhere else.
You’ll enjoy the bustling Church Street Marketplace and the tranquil shores of one of the best Vermont Lakes while you vacation with your love!
Blind Tiger is a boutique option for couples. It’s an historic mansion located in downtown Burlington. This makes for an intimate escape with lush gardens and rooms rich in historical detail, steeped in romance with antique furnishings. You can unwind with your sweetheart in the solarium or savor a fireside cocktail.
Hotel Vermont has the perfect blend of local charm and modern comfort. The rooms feature handcrafted furnishings and luxurious bedding, making for a cozy and intimate setting for couples. Additionally, the hotel provides complimentary bicycles, a great way for couples to explore the city together! The hotel’s Juniper Bar and Restaurant serves locally-sourced cuisine, for your romantic dinner.
The Lang House on Main Street is a bed and breakfast that invites romance in a lovingly restored Queen Anne Victorian home. Each room has its own distinctive character and décor, some featuring fireplaces and whirlpool tubs for a touch of luxury. The inn is also known for their delicious gourmet breakfasts! It’s located just a short walk from the waterfront and the vibrant Church Street Marketplace.
Romantic Things to Do
Burlington may not have the skyscrapers of New York City, but it has a charm all its own. It’s packed with options for you and your sweetheart!
Let Burlington’s eclectic blend of natural beauty and vibrant city life be the backdrop to your romantic escape. Stroll hand in hand along the waterfront as the sun dips below the horizon, casting a golden glow over the lake.
Discover hidden gems and local crafts in the bustling marketplace, or cozy up in a quaint café and watch the world go by. In this small city, every moment is an opportunity to create memories that will last a lifetime as a couple.
Church Street Marketplace
Walk the length of Burlington’s Church Street Marketplace, where the energy of street musicians and the charm of open-air cafes set the stage for a romantic evening. Explore unique shops, savor Vermont-made treats from gourmet food carts, and enjoy the intimate ambiance of this bustling well-known local treasure.
Go for a Bike Ride
Take a leisurely bike ride along the Burlington Bike Path, where the gorgeous views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks make for a picturesque backdrop. The Colchester Causeway is a wonderfully scenic ride that leads you across a narrow strip of land with panoramic views that are especially stunning at sunset.
Enjoy a tasting tour
Shelburne Vineyard is a short drive from Burlington with tastings of award-winning wines amidst picturesque vine-covered slopes, perfect for a romantic sip and stroll. At Magic Hat Brewing Company, couples can enjoy a brewery tour followed by a flight of unique and bold brews. Foam Brewers has an intimate waterfront setting where you can sample craft beers with stunning Lake Champlain sunsets as your backdrop!
Flynn Center for the Performing Arts
Going here adds a touch of culture to your visit where you can catch a play, a ballet, or a musical performance. There’s everything from jazz and rock n’ roll to musicals and ballets. Check their schedule well in advance and purchase tickets for a great show!
Vermont Comedy Club
If you’re in the mood for laughter be sure to check out the great shows here. It’s going to provide a night of giggles and grins for sure. It’s a perfect date to head over to the comedy club after a cozy romantic dinner downtown.
Sunset Cruise on Lake Champlain
What’s more romantic than enjoying a sunset on a boat? This is the epitome of romance in Burlington. You’ll glide across the water as the sky transitions with the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains in the background. You can toast with a glass of champagne or simply hold hands on the deck. This experience is a must-do for your getaway!
Hiking at Mount Philo
If you are a more active couple a hike up Mount Philo will be wonderful. The trail winds to a summit offering expansive views of the Lake Champlain Valley and the Adirondack Mountains beyond. It’s perfect for a romantic picnic spot!
Art Walk in the South End Arts District
Explore Burlington’s creative side with a stroll through the South End Arts District. The area is teeming with galleries, studios, and murals that can be enjoyed at a leisurely pace. It’s a great spot for gift shopping.
Picnic at Oakledge Park
Pack a gourmet picnic and head to Oakledge Park. Find a secluded spot and enjoy each other’s company along with some of Vermont’s finest local produce and cheeses that you picked up at the Ciy Market Coop which has a wonderful selection.
Hot Air Balloon Ride with Above Reality Inc
What’s cooler than a hot air balloon ride over Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains? This is a bucket list experience and is a very cool idea for how to propose to your love! You’ll get to float over the Vermont countryside with and enjoy epic views that are sure to make your hearts soar.
Chocolate Tasting at Lake Champlain Chocolates
If you are a sweet-toothed couple, a chocolate tasting at Lake Champlain Chocolates is a must! Discover the rich flavors of locally made chocolates and find your favorites together. The ice cream here is so delicious as well!
Cozy Places to Eat for Couples in Burlington
There is no shortage of incredible restaurants in Burlington, VT, and new options commonly pop up. It’s a foodie wonderland, so map out your favorite recommendations well in advance and always make reservations for dinner, as places fill up quickly.
Remember to check the latest hours, too! The city’s beloved spots are in high demand for not just dinner, but lunch and brunch as well!
- Sneakers Bistro – This hopping place has a warm, inviting atmosphere for a delicious, hearty breakfast in nearby Winooski. You’ll find unique specials here such as Turkey Stew and Kale on a Zucchini and Corn Waffle Benedict or the favorite Kahlua dipped French toast!
- The Café HOT – Located right on Main St right, this cafe is bustling, serving up a cheerful start to the day with its tasty breakfast menu. Their coffee is amazing! Breakfast sandwiches are to die for and they even have Bonuts, which is a donut made like a biscuit.
- The Grey Jay – This restaurant has exquisite food and shares some of the same team members as Honey Road, a favorite dinner spot listed below. They offer a refined morning meal a gourmet breakfast or brunch experience. Go here for a Turkish Breakfast with hummus, red pepper dip, olives, and deviled eggs and so much more!
- The Gryphon – This corner restaurant is known for its elegant ambiance and delicious brunch menu. It’s a great spot to relax and dine in the heart of Burlington. The Brioche French Toast is a must-try and the Bloody Mary’s are next level!
- Stone Soup – This is a place loved by locals and with good reason. You can order from the menu but there’s also the option to serve yourself from their reliably good hot bar and salad bar. The Mac and Cheese is always epic and the unique salad fixins’ include roasted rosemary tofu and all kinds of nuts, seeds, and cheeses. It is a casual, artsy spot offering a variety of vegetarian delights and delish baked goods.
- August First – A very popular bakery-café perfect for a laid-back lunch, with fresh bread and a selection of light, healthy dishes, soups, and salads. You can purchase fresh bread and baked goods to take home with you. Don’t forget to enjoy a delicious coffee here as well!
- Leunig’s Bistro – Go at 11am for an early lunch. This long-standing favorite has classic French bistro fare with a Vermont twist in a cozy, Parisian-style setting. You’ll find one of the best bowls of french onion soup here! Great for dinner as well. Their Petit Bijou Kiosk is right nearby on Church St and serves coffee, pastries, beignets, and baguette sandwiches.
Dinner Date Nights
- Trattoria Delia – When you enter this romantic Italian haven you immediately know it is special. The aromas and atmosphere are enticing. You’ll enjoy an intimate dining experience with mouthwatering authentic dishes and fine wines. Dishes like Zuppa di Pesce with saffron and any of the homemade pastas are favorites.
- Pizzeria Verita – Go here for tasty wood-fired Neapolitan pizzas with gourmet toppings, custom charcuterie boards, fresh salads, and insanely creative cocktails in a stylish setting. They even serve a dessert pizza!
- Hen of the Wood – Hen of the Wood is a gem for dinner dates with an intimate atmosphere and a focus on seasonal farm-to-table dining. There’s a cheese menu that allows you to start with an appetizer selection or indulge in a dessert cheese board to conclude your meal. And if you’re exploring romantic things to do in Waterbury, a bit further south, a trip to the original Hen of the Wood location is a delightful way to extend the gastronomic pleasure.
- Honey Road – A very cozy, hip, and inviting space to share a variety of Eastern Mediterranean small plates. The Pide is a culinary standout – a Turkish-inspired flatbread, traditionally boat-shaped and filled with a variety of rich toppings like seasoned meats, melty cheeses, and fresh vegetables, all perfectly baked to create a deliciously crispy yet tender crust. The food here is a piece of art, especially the desserts!
Wine and Dine
Dedalus Wine Bar – If you are wine aficionados head to Dedalus! They have award-winning wines and artisanal bites in the artsy ambiance of Burlington’s South End. Dishes such as beef carpaccio, halibut crudo, squid ink pasta, marinated olives, and fresh salads with prosciutto and citrus as some favorites.
Coffee and Casual Hangouts
- Muddy Waters – Need a place to chill and enjoy a spectacular rich mocha and a cookie? The woodsy interior of Muddy Waters is perfect for a relaxed coffee date. Their bagels are also excellent.
- Radio Bean – A unique coffeehouse by day that turns into a lively hip music venue with cocktails at night. This is a great place to end up after dinner or perhaps after a movie at the Merill’s Roxy Cinema. It has a charming, intimate atmosphere. Plus, it’s connected to the adjoining lamp shop, which transforms into a lively spot for dancing as the evening unfolds.
The Wrap-Up on Romance in Burlington
Burlington’s romantic allure is undeniable, from its cozy corners to the grandeur of Lake Champlain. Plan your getaway to this Vermont gem, where every moment promises to be steeped in intimacy and charm. You can consider an engagement proposal to your sweetheart, a quaint honeymoon, or even your wedding in magical Burlington, VT!
Whether it’s a fireside dinner or a sunset cruise, Burlington awaits to make your romantic dreams a reality. So what are you waiting for? Surprise your love with a memorable trip to Vermont where artisan chocolates, local spirits, and the serene landscapes are just the beginning.
Author Bio: Heather Kasvinsky is the creator of This Noshtalgic Life, where she shares her culinary camping adventures, foodie delights, and travel stories from Vermont to Alaska. She offers a peek into her off the beaten path adventures and hopes to inspire others to explore new places.