Did you know that the month of May is Military Appreciation Month? It’s ok if you didn’t. I’ve been a military wife for 14 years and I didn’t know it. Honestly I can’t really think of much that anyone does for military appreciation month. Maybe it is because we do not live on or near a base anymore.
Today came word that President Obama released 5 terrorists in exchange for our POW Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only American soldier held captive in Afghanistan. And I am thrilled by this decision. Our men and women are worth whatever it takes to get them back. I wouldn’t care if they released all of the terrorist to get one of our guys back. The sacrifices our service members make is __________ I can’t even think of a word to describe it. This man has missed out on 5 years of his life. Can you imagine what the reunion will be like with his family. I truly can’t not even grasp what it would be like to serve your country and end up captive for 5 years.
I have had to tell my husband goodbye several times and it is incredibly stressful and painful and he was not deploying to a war zone. How much harder it is for the service members deploying to war over and over. How they are able to go through this again and again is beyond my understanding.
Saluting My Every Day Heroes
It takes remarkable people to do this. I watch lots of homecoming videos, but I always watch them by myself, because I just cry and cry. Especially when it’s the surprise for the kids. I know it is moving, but look at those kids. Look at them crying, look at the expression on their faces. Those kids are sacrificing greatly. Entire families are sacrificing: spouses, kids, mothers, fathers, siblings….. so many people. So, when Chevy ask me to pick one person to write about I wondered how to I pick.
- My kids who have gone 6 to 7 months every year without a dad throughout their entire lives?
- My husband who finds himself in situations unforeseen living in weird circumstances alone to serve?
- My mom who moves in with me during deployments to help me or lets me live with her for long stretches?
- My dad that flew 3,000 miles just to help us move over 3,000 miles on the worst move ever?
- Our siblings that grew up without us around, because we were stationed so far away?
- My mother in law who has to worry about her son going who knows where to do who knows what?
This list could go on and on. These are my Not-So-Every-Day-Heros
Chevy is currently running a massive discount program for military. Here is the info on the military discount program they are offering right now.
- All Veterans along with Active Duty, Reserves and Retirees AND their spouses — are eligible for the Chevrolet Military Discount.
- The discount can be combined with most current incentives.
- Chevrolet Complete Care available on 2014 purchased and leased vehicles. Backed by 24 months or 24,000 miles of included scheduled maintenance†, warranties that cover powertrain, bumper-to-bumper and anti-corrosion, and five years or 100,000 miles of roadside assistance with courtesy transportation†.
- USAA members receive an additional $750 private offer!