Walt Disney World has a military resort, the Shades of Green. This hotel features a wide range of perks for military families including rooms for 5, a spa with Disney princess makeovers specially priced tickets, and more.
Shades of Green resort is a military resort located in central Florida on Walt Disney World Resort property near the Polynesian Resort and Magnolia and Palms golf courses. Guests that stay, here are eligible for Disney World’s Magic Hours, but not the Disney Dining Plans.
Table of Contents
Shades of Green Disney military resort offer 583 large rooms all of which can accommodate 5 people and those with disabilities. This resort is one of a handful of Disney World resorts that allows 5 in a room. Shades of Green is one of five Armed Forces Recreation Centers in the world.
Special Military Pricing
Like the military resorts in Hawaii and Germany, room rates are based on rank. So, rates at Shades of Green resort are broken into three different priced categories. Since it is a military installation, there are no taxes. Lower rank members pay less than higher-ranking members do. This enables military members who don’t make as much to still be able to afford vacations at Disney World.
The best perk of staying at Shades is the low price if you qualify. Standard and Poolside rooms range from $89 to $141 per night year-round! Unfortunately for us, we are in the $141 category, so we usually stay at a different property for less. Be sure to check out their website where they offer lots of specials and remember that Disney World offers military discounts at most of their properties as well.
Shades of Green Accommodations
All rooms and suites feature sleeper sofas and mini-refrigerators. The bathrooms have built-in nightlights and separate tub and vanity areas to help your family get ready faster.
All suites have a separate bedroom and microwaves.
Shades of Green Amenities and Activities
- Restaurants – Shades of Green has quite a few restaurants including, a sit-down Italian restaurant, a buffet restaurant that often offers themed food buffets, a sports bar, a grab and go option for a quick breakfast, and a small Starbucks.
- Swimming Pools – Shades of Green resort has two pools, one in the shape of Mickey Mouse’s head. Plus, they recently updated the small pool with slides and a splash park. Both pools offer organized activities scheduled poolside on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 2:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- Mini arcade for kids
- Gaming Systems – Free Xbox 360s and Wiis kids can play with.
- Fitness Center opened 24 hours a day with free weights up to 50lbs and Zumba classes.
- Full-service spa, Magnolia Spa
- Free Bus with service to all four Walt Disney Parks, both water parks and Disney Springs. (This bus is not part of Disney’s bus system, but once you get to one of the main parks or Disney Springs you can catch a bus where ever you like on Disney grounds.) For a fee they can also take you to Universal Orlando or Sea World. The price is $10 per person ages 12+ and $5 for ages 4-11. Children 3 and under ride free. Reservations are required.
- Gift Shop – A small tax -ree, gift shop with lots of Disney products.
- Tennis Court – They have free equipment you can borrow, including rackets and balls, at the front desk.
- Yoga Classes – free and for the whole family
- Parties – On various days throughout the year they offer free parties you can attend. At these there are cupcakes, face painting are more.
Other Benefits of Staying at Shades of Green
- Extra Magic Hours at the theme parks.
- FastPass+ reservations – Shades of Green Resort guests have the option to make FastPass+ reservations 30 days out along with the general public.
- Golf – Military members get a discount on all Disney golf courses, lessons, and rentals.
- FootGolf – This is a sport that combines soccer and golf, but more closely related to golf. Military personnel and family members are offered a rate of $17+tax per player, and that includes the rental of a soccer ball.
- Magnolia Spa offers all kinds of services including princess and pirate makeovers at a way better price than Disney! For adults, they offer affordable facials, massages, and nail services. You do not have to be staying at Shades of Green to use the spa.
ITT Office (Ticket Sales Office)
Having an ITT office on site is awesome! Our military family has used this office multiple times. Sometimes the lines get bad.
- Shades of Green has an ITT office on the second floor.
- Discounted tickets for Disney World as well as all other attractions in Orlando.
- No tax when you buy tickets here!
- You can buy the specially priced $169 Disney tickets here.
- Military members can get a free 1-day park hopper to Universal Studios.
- Sea World tickets are available too but remember you and your family members may be eligible to get in free.
Cirque Du Soilel La Nouba discount tickets
They offer a lot of different types of tickets to Disney World. It’s worth taking an in-depth look on their site to figure out exactly what you want. Most just buy the military park hopper tickets.
Here’s a look at the prices for various activities around Orlando.
We often stop by Shades of Green just to hit the ITT office and get our discounted and free military tickets. Parking is free so we can park and run in and get them. You do have to show military id to get into the parking garage. Sometimes the lines can get long, so try to take care of this the day before you need to use the tickets.
FYI – There is a small BX and ITT office near the Orlando Airport as well. This seems to be a well-kept secret and there’s often hardly anyone there. If you have a rental car you should definitely stop by!
I do not recommend getting a taxi. This will run you at least $60. Instead, use Uber and Lyft Use my Uber invite code, meagans343ue, and get a free ride up to $15. Use my Lyft invite for a $50 credit! Although there was a while the Orlando airport wouldn’t allow Uber and Lyft to pickup this is no longer the case.
Unfortunately, you can not take the Magical Express. Granted, I hate the Magical Express so I consider this a good thing!
Shades of Green Disney Resort FAQ’s
Who is eligible to stay here?
There are a lot of ways to be eligible to stay at Shades of Green resort. Some are more complicated than I am able to explain, like those within a certain time frame that voluntarily separated or involuntarily separated. Others qualify for 50% eligibility. Check their website for a more extensive list and detailed explanation.
- Members on Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Cadets of Armed Forces Academies.
- Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while in retired status ID.
- Military personnel of foreign nations and their family members when assigned or attached to a U.S. military unit or installation.
- Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps.
- Retired from Active Duty, Reserves, and National Guard with or without pay.
- Honorably discharged veterans with 100 percent Service-connected disability.
- U.S. employees of firms under contract to the Department of Defense working in the Pacific Region outside the U.S. on Department of Defense Government orders.
- Other personnel on official business with the Department of Defense as may be specifically authorized by the General Manager or his designee.
- Current and retired (APF and NAF) Department of Defense (DoD) and Coast Guard (CG) civilian employees.
Can Military Members Book Rooms for Other People?
The military member and the military member’s spouse may sponsor up to three additional rooms. But before you do this, know you are responsible if they do something stupid.
Do you get a MagicBand if you stay here?
Sadly, no. Guests at Shades of Green do not receive complimentary MagicBands; if you have one from a previous Disney vacation or are planning to purchase one, you can use it for your theme park entry, FastPass+ access, and PhotoPass, but it will not work as a room key. You also can not use it for making purchases.
Can we get the Disney Dining Plan?
No, sadly you cannot get access to the Disney dining plan when you stay here.
Can you use the Military Star card at Shades of Green?
Yes, the Military Star card can be used for room charges, purchases in the AAFES Store, at the Shades of Green Ticket Office for purchasing tickets for Disney and Orlando attractions, and for special events and weddings.
Is parking free?
If you park for less than 2 hours it is free to park. If you are staying the night self-parking costs $9 per night per vehicle and valet parking costs $14 per night per vehicle.
How far in advance can I book Shades of Green?
They take room reservations one year to the date before your desired arrival date. Holidays are the most popular times to book a reservation. Of course, the further in advance you book, the better chances you’ll have of securing a reservation. You’ll also find more discounts available with more advance notice. They can book weddings, meetings and other special occasions up to two years in advance.
Do Shades of Green guests have access to Walt Disney Transportation?
Yes. Shades of Green guests have access to the monorail, ferry boat and the bus transportation that Disney offers on the complex.
Can you trade Disney Pins at Shades of Green?
Yes, you can trade pins at Shades of Green. In fact, sometimes the Shades of Green has an exclusive pin that can only be purchased here. When you check in you can ask to find out if they are selling any. If you are unsure how to trade pins check-out our – How to Participate in Pin Trading at Disney