Are you in need of a family-friendly place to stay in Chiang Mai, Thailand? Our family recommends Shangri-la Chiang Mai.
Shangri-La Chiang Mai is a super safe, family-friendly luxury hotel in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Your family will love staying here when you visit this exciting city. With amenities like the largest hotel swimming pool in Chiang Mai and a massive breakfast buffet, kids will be in heaven. Parents will too, as they are pampered in the on-site spa or when they are having a cocktail by the pool. At this point, we’ve stayed in a lot of luxury hotels, but the Shangri-La Chiang Mai quickly become one of our favorites. The hotel is safe, loaded with amenities, and extremely family-friendly.
Table of Contents
The Safest Hotel in Chiang Mai
Each time you arrive at the hotel you have to go through security. They don’t pat you down like the TSA does, but they do make you enter through a metal detector and run bags through an x-ray machine. They also check every vehicle that goes through their driveway.
At first, I didn’t like this. I was put off by the security. I was worried that maybe Chiang Mai is an unsafe city and I should not be there with the kids. I ask them what the deal was and they informed me that many dignitaries stay here and they want to keep them safe. I was happy knowing that I was at the most secure hotel in Chiang Mai.
Horizon Club Lounge
Our family’s favorite thing about staying here was the Horizon Club Lounge. The Horizon Club Lounge is a private lounge for those staying on certain floors. When you are traveling with kids, things are just easier when they can eat or drink whenever they need to. (All day, every day!) I could quickly and easily take my kids to the lounge for a snack and a drink. One morning we opted to have breakfast up there instead of at the main restaurant, and every item we ordered was fantastic.
In the evenings they have wine and beer and heavy appetizers. They offered so much food I found it to basically be dinner even though they do not say it is.
Horizon Club Privileges
- Personalized check-in and checkout
- Complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktails
- Concierge service – They have a local activity book and can help you book all of your activities.
- One complimentary suit pressing per stay and shoeshine service
- Private club lounge with complimentary wired Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Choice of international newspaper
- Private meeting room and computer stations
Family Friendly Rooms
Both of the rooms we stayed in were spacious with plenty of room for families. Since we were a family of five we had to get connecting rooms. In one room there was a large king bed and in the other room there were two twin beds and a rollaway. Our first night there they left us this fun welcome plate of goodies.
Chi The Spa
My favorite adult amenity was Chi The Spa. My friend and I left the world behind as we were immersed in this private sanctuary. Upon entering, guests are greeted with a drink and a snack. When you are taken back to your room, it is not just some room down the hall. Instead, you are taken over to your own private oasis.
To start off your treatments, they first wash your feet. After your feet are clean, you lie down and begin whichever massage you have chosen. They, of course, offer Thai massage. If you have never had a Thai massage, you are in for an experience!
Shangri-la Chiang Mai has the largest swimming pool in Chiang Mai. It is a quiet retreat and they have a large hot tub next to the pool as well. There is another hot tub inside in their fitness facility along with a steam room and a sauna. Their fitness center is quite impressive and even offers classes.
In the fitness center is a kid’s corner where kids can take various classes for a fee. Sadly, we were not here long enough to take advantage of this. I would have liked my kids to have taken a Thai language class.
We did end up taking a Thai boxing class as a family and it was awesome! Learning something new as a family is not only a fun way to connect, but it’s a great way to delve deeper into the culture. Thai boxing is one of Thailand’s most popular sports and a beginner lesson is easy enough for any age. The lesson lasted an hour and we all learned some basic skills. All of us learned some basics of Thai boxing. It is an excellent workout and anyone can do it.
Here is a Facebook live video of the kids during our lesson. They all did great! Even I did okay.
- 24-hour room service
- Satellite/cable television – Thai Disney channel is quite interesting.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Air-conditioning – Thailand is hot. Always stay somewhere that has air conditioning!
- Fully-stocked mini-bar including complimentary tea and coffee
- A pillow menu for all suites and Horizon Club rooms featuring a selection of feather, anti-snore, buckwheat, foam and bolster type pillows.
- Laundry – Noah decided to fully utilize their laundry service while I was out one day. They came by and ask if we had any laundry and he decided that he should have his clothes washed. I was a little irritated about this, but it did not cost that much and they did a lovely job.
- Giant Chess – Outside by the pool is a giant chess set, so of course, we had to play. I got beat twice and I was a sore loser both times.
Fun Fact: The Bachelor series filmed here during Becca Kufrin’s season when she was the Bachelorette back in 2018. Becca and her guys stayed here. She stayed in the Lotus Suite. This suite is a 2,300-square-foot corner suite decorated with chandeliers, Thai crafts, and of course gorgeous orchids. The suite also has stunning views of the city through floor-to-ceiling windows. Rates for this suite start at $800 a night!
If you are looking for things to do in Chiang Mai see my other articles: