I’ve been using a Sony Mirrorless camera for a few years now. It’s smaller and lighter weight than other high-quality cameras. I often have to wear a camera while I am working and I need something that doesn’t bother my back.
Table of Contents
Sony a6300 Mirrorless Camera Review
Captures amazing photos even in low light!
I took this camera on my most recent trip and was quite pleased with the photos I got. It rained a lot while I was in Puerto Vallarta and the sky was always gloomy, but from some of the photos, you would never guess how dark it was outside. Above is a photo I snapped down on the beach and it is completely unedited!
The camera has a 2.95″ wide-angle LCD monitor with brightness control for vivid color in any light!
This photo of the Chihuly Garden and Glass museum was taken in a dark room with assorted spotlights pointed at the glass. I was thrilled about how well the photos came out.
Here is another photo I snapped down in Albuquerque. I loved how well it captured the colors and again, no editing was needed! Imagine all the time you could save if you did not have to edit photos! Or at least edit them less.
I took this food photo inside a dimly lit restaurant with mostly candle lighting. Normally it would be almost impossible to get a good photo, but with this mirrorless camera I ended up with useable photos!
On Eden’s birthday, I snapped this photo in our dining room. Again, this is an unedited photo. This camera is delivering one amazing photo after another!
Things I love about the Sony a6300 mirrorless camera:
- Superior speed, response, and quality in a compact body. – The camera body is so compact that it fits in the side pocket of my purse. It’s lightweight so it has not been a burden to carry around. You can see in this photo from a recent press trip that I am carrying it around on my neck. Again, it’s so lightweight, it doesn’t bother me to do this. I found this surprising because I have a bad shoulder and almost anything bothers me. This is the same reason I always have a crossbody purse.
- World’s fastest (0.05-s2) autofocus with the world’s most (4253) phase-detection AF points – I am so appreciative of the autofocus and continuous focus. I do not have steady hands, but you would never know looking at the photos I took.
- Capture fast-action shots at up to 11 fps (frames per second) – High-speed continuous shooting clarifies climactic action. This comes in handy when I am taking pictures of my kids at football and even more so at gymnastics.
- 4K recording – Record the ultimate resolution in 4K movie quality and enjoy other movie functions favored by professionals. Advanced 4D FOCUS tracks, even fast-moving subjects quickly and precisely. Again, my kids are in sports and they are hard to photograph. And this camera can capture them in action, even Noah when he is doing gymnastics in a gym in low light while he is moving extremely fast! I can even capture good images while recording.
- New image sensor delivering images with less noise within a wide sensitivity range up to ISO 512004
- Built-in wireless for easy sharing to your cell phone – All you need is the PlayMemories app.
- Viewfinder eye detection – The camera can tell when I put my eye to the viewfinder it switches quickly from showing you what you are looking at on the screen and instead showing it to you through the viewfinder. I had lasik a few years ago and sometimes it’s just easier for me to see what I am capturing using the view finder.
- Interchangeable lenses – I’m so excited to have a camera that can use various lenses. And don’t worry, if you have lenses from another brand you want to use on this camera you can buy an adapter and still use them. (Obviously not all lenses will be compatible, but you might be pleasantly surprised how many work with it.) For the best travel lenses before to keep reading!
- No touchscreen – The camera does not have a touchscreen, which I happen to appreciate. I can’t stand it when I accidentally start messing stuff up.
- Tiltable LCD screen – customizable for vlogging.
- Takes good food photos – As fun food has gotten more popular, it has become important that I can capture good food photos. Because the camera works well indoors I am pretty much guaranteed I can capture the sharp images I need.
When you purchase this camera it includes:
- Sony Alpha a6300 Mirrorless Camera with a lens
- Micro USB cable
- Owner’s manual
- Rechargeable battery (NP-FW50)
- Shoulder strap, body cap, accessory shoe cap, eyepiece cup
My Favorite Features:
My video certainly does not cover everything. For a step by step tutorial to walk you through the camera, check out this hour-long video. This guy covers all kinds of stuff!
I recently came across this video and I really liked the way he broke down using the flash in various ways in different types of light situations.
Best Travel Lens for Sony a6000 Series
E PZ 16–50 mm F3.5–5.6 OSS Lens: Typically when you purchase this camera this is the lens it comes with. And it is excellent. Depending on your needs and wants you may not even need another lens, because this one is going to capture high quality images. When I talked above about how light the camera is, it was using this lightweight lens. The lens is a retractable design, which means the lens can be made to be extremely compact when not in use aka great for traveling. Obviously this is a good value to if it comes with the camera.
Sony 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS APS-C E-Mount Zoom Len: To me this is the perfect lens and it offers many benefits. Class-leading close-up performance with a minimum focusing distance of 1.48 ft. great for food photography if needed. With 7.5x high magnification zoom you will get a decent range zoom range with good quality. This Sony lens is great for landscape and architectural photography at the wide end, to portrait photography in the middle, and as a mild telephoto at the long end. I bought this lens when I only had enough money to invest in one lens. If you are on a budget I recommend getting this one. I have never used the Sony G-lens 18-105 but when I was researching lenses, I saw people saying they switched from that one to this one because the quality is equal but it weighs less. Less weight is always better for me personally.
- Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS: This is one of the best wide-angle lenses for a Sony a6000. The 10-18mm has a full-frame equivalent of 15-27mm making it is noticeably wider. If you are vlogging your travels this is a lens you should seriously consider investing in. The super wide-angle lens allows you to capture photography and videos at a unique wide angle. I personally do not need a wide angle enough to justify the price point of this particular lens.
There are a few off brand lenses that are compatible with cameras in the Sony a600 series. Of those these are the two we recommend.
- Sigma 16mm f: The main perk of this lens is the large f/1.4 aperture for superb lowlight performance. If you are shooting an event indoors you will be quite happy with this lens. If you want an affordable wide angle lens this is the better choice.
Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Lens Sony E-Mount: This is great lens for nighttime photography or astrophotography thanks to its wide aperture and relatively low distortion.
Tech Products I Always Travel With
13 New Mind Blowing Tech Gadgets
Leave A Comment