At the end of the tiny town of Government Camp, OR right off the road is Summit Ski area. It’s a cheap place to ski on Mt. Hood and the runs are perfect for kids. I have skied Summit with all three kids and it’s great because my kids are beginner skiers. I think it’s the most kid friendly place to ski. There is only one lift and all the runs are green. I highly appreciate the fact that kids five and under ski for free with a paying adult.
This short video will show you how flat the runs are. Our daughter was skiing for her second time. It was amazing how much better she did when we took her to an easier place to ski. She also took a lesson which was cheap and good. The lesson price included the ski rental!
Some things to know before you go ski Summit:
- 2 Person ski lift
- Only one lift, meaning you are going to ski the same runs all day long.
- Snowboarding is allowed
- Public restrooms available, but they are out by the road
- Small snack shack
- Rentals Available and included in lessons
- Tubing hill
- No Daycare
- The runs are flat, making it easier for beginners.
- They have a ski school.
- All the runs are green.
- It is cheap! It might just be the cheapest place to ski on the mountain.
And it certainly doesn’t hurt that the view is beautiful.
Summit ski area is located a little over an hour from Portland, Oregon. You simply take highway 26 until you get to Government Camp. You will see it on the left side of the highway. They also have a tubing hill.