If not you should, it’s a pretty awesome place.
Bend, Oregon is a great destination year round with incredible outdoor activities.
There are many kid friendly attractions in and around Bend, Oregon, making it a perfect place to take a family vacation.
If you live around Portland then it’s a perfect weekend getaway.
We have created this Sunriver/Bend Travel Guide to help you plan your entire trip. Our travel guide includes where to eat and lots of activity suggestions. Like all of our travel guides this one will continue to grow and adapt over time. In February we are headed back down to experience all the great winter activities they have so check back for updates!
Sunriver Summer Activities
During the summer, activities include kayaking, white water rafting, and hiking. If you are new to rafting, raft the Big Eddy first. You will get a small taste of some major rapids without being tossed around too terribly.
- Whitewater Rafting Sun Country Tours – Rafting the Big Eddie with Sun Country tours was cheaper then kayaking and horseback riding in Sunriver. Plus it was awesome. We felt comfortable the whole time. The entire operation is streamlined, which is nice.
2. High Desert Musemm – A fantastic indoor family-friendly activity near bend is the High Desert Museum, a one-of-a kind museum that reveals the nature of things in the West’s high desert through artful exhibits, alluring animals, engaging programs and meaningful history. We felt completely immersed into the history as we walked through some of the exhibits.
3. Hiking – There are loads of hiking trails around this area, including lots of waterfall hikes.
- Benham Falls – Dillon Falls
- Steelhead Falls
- Tumalo Falls
- Fall River Falls
- Paulina Falls
4. Sharc Water Park
Sunriver has it’s very own water park. SHARC’s heated outdoor aquatics feature the following attractions:
Water slides (must be 48″ to ride)
Water Jungle Gym
Tot Pool & Sand Area
Lap Lanes (select hours)
Heated to 83˚- 85˚
5. Summer Tubing Hill at the Sharc
You can tube almost year round in Sunriver, because they have a summer tubing hill. Here’s a video of the tubing hill.
Kid Friendly Winter Activities in Bend, Oregon
During the winter you can ski and snowboard up on nearby by Mt. Bachelor. I have an entire post dedicated to taking a weekend ski trip to Bend.
1. Ski and Snowboard – In the winter, it is unacceptable to not go skiing if you are in Bend, unless of course you just can’t. Why?Because Mt. Bachelor is just a short drive from Bend and home to 88 runs to accommodate the novice, intermediate, advanced and expert ski enthusiasts. It even has a magic carpet and bunny hill making this an ultra kid friendly place to ski.
2. Free guided Snowshoeing – If you are a non skier consider a 90 minute guided snowshoeing tour of the Deschutes National Forest instead. It’s easy to snowshoe and anyone 8 years or older can do it. This kid friendly activity is free through the US Forest Service up on Mt. Bachelor. During your tour you will learn about winter ecology at Mt. Bachelor and the geology of Central Oregon, the Deschutes National Forest watershed, and the plants and animals found throughout the area. You will need to wear snow boots and other warm winter clothing. These tours start at 10 AM on Saturdays. You check-in 10-15 minutes prior to time of tour at the USFS snowshoe hut just outside the Guest Services building in West Village at Mt. Bachelor ski resort.
3. Ice skating in Sunriver. The Sunriver ice rink is open from mid-November through the end of March and is an exciting activity for vacationers and locals alike. If ice-skating is not your forte, the rink offers a viewing room with a cozy fireplace so you can watch your friends and family skate to their hearts’ content. This is a fairly cheap family activity!
Cafe Sinatra – This place was fantastic! This will be our go to place for breakfast in Sunriver from now on! Other than my crepe being a tiny portion I love everything about it. I just figured when I order the crepes that it would be more than just one of them. My $8 mistake. It’s a cute place. They give everyone toast and it’s a cinnamon toast that’s REAL good. They did not have kids meals but they have some large plates that are good for splitting.
Hola! – After first eating at their location in a strip mall in Bend I was not impressed. But after visiting this beautiful location in Sunriver right along the river I have completely changed my mind. The cocktails here are huge. HUGE! Plus, they have a lot of cocktail choices. The tequila tacos are awesome. Do not let your children order the nachos off the kids menu. They would be better off eating the complimentary chips and dip.
Meadows Restaurant – Inside Sunriver Lodge with a fireplace & lake views, Meadows is a great place to eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Sunriver Brewhouse – Craft brewery & gastropub serving creative American eats in a rustic setting with a kids’ play area.
Bend Restaurants for Families
Bend Brewing Company – We love everything about Bend Brewing Company. Their beers are great and on weekend nights they’ve got live music. The Reuben is so large you should order and half or plan to split a plate with someone. They’ve also got excellent salsa!
Deschutes Brewery – The chicken BBQ bacon sandwich was amazing. All of the other food was had was great. For dessert we tried the peanut butter pie and it was ridiculous it was so good. You must try it if you visit!
The Original Pancake House – This place was great. It’s almost all pancakes. A typical order comes out with 6 pancakes. They have options for half orders on their pancakes and french toast.
The prices are cheap. I fed 3 adults and 2 kids for around $30.
Spork – Asian Fusion
Bend Lodging for Families