Newport, Oregon is a sleepy little beach town on the Oregon coast with lots of things to do. Some activities here happen to be much better than others! After spending spring break in Newport here are what our family considered to be the top 6 things to do in Newport, Oregon. I hope these help you plan your own family vacation to Newport, Oregon.
6 Things to do in Newport, Oregon with Kids
- Newport Coast Park – This newer playground is so much fun for kids and close to the beach. Free parking is available in there on site parking lot and nearby.
- Hang at the beach – Look for shells, build sandcastles, or fly a kite. The beach in Newport is neat with lots of sea anemones. My kids love digging holes in the sand, so bring a shovel. Many recommend visiting Agate Beach for beach combing.
- Oregon Coast Aquarium – This large aquarium is considered to be the best aquarium in the state of Oregon and I suppose it is. I cannot think of any other aquariums in Oregon. It is a large aquarium with lots to see and do.
- Hatfield Science Center – This is a completely free science center and it’s awesome! They have a touch pool that your children will especially enjoy.
- Visit the Sea Lions – Located near downtown, these sea lions can be fun to watch. Just ask around for where to find them. Every local in town knows where to find them.
- Hike Drift Creek Falls – North of Newport is an excellent hike the whole family will enjoy. Plus, you get to see a waterfall. It is steep on the way back up, but not too bad.
More Things to do in Newport, Oregon
There are of course more than just these six things to do in Newport.
Visit Lighthouse: You can also visit the Yaquina Head lighthouse or the Yaquina Bay lighthouse. Lighthouses tend to be quite interesting for kids, especially if they’ve never seen one before.
Devil’s Punchbowl State Park is an interesting rock formation, and worth a drive.
Coastal Combat: I also recently found out that there is a new place in town with laser tag and escape rooms called Coastal Combat. We haven’t tried, it so if you have feel free to leave a comment for others.
Ripley’s Believe it or not!
For a complete run down on what to do, where to stay, and good places to eat in Newport read our Newport, Oregon Travel Guide!
Have you found something fun for kids to do in Newport with kids? Let us know if the comments below.