The kids and I travel all the time, so we’ve used more travel items than most. Over the years there have been some things we liked and so we didn’t. I’ve put together a list of all our favorite travel gear in hopes I can help you make the best purchase for your own family.
My Favorite Travel Gear:
Best Day Backpack: Patagonia Lightweight Travel Tote
I’ve been carrying this Patagonia tote around for the last four years. It’s gotten to where I never travel without it. Without fail, I always use it for something. Because it folds down so small it hardly takes up any room on my suitcase. It’s my go-to hiking backpack as well.
- This lightweight tote can be carried as a backpack or as a bag. I typically use it as a backpack.
- It is indispensable when you’re seeing the world and mighty handy when you just need to carry drinks and towels to the beach or a hot spring.
- Made from supple, featherweight fabric that stuffs away into its own pocket for easy storage, it carries whatever your day requires, keeps your hands free, and moves with your body.
- The Lightweight Travel Tote Pack features a large zippered main compartment for easy access and an external zippered organizer (with key keeper) that swallows the entire bag when it’s not in use.
- There’s also a handy internal zip pocket for valuables and side mesh pockets for bottles or snacks. Backpack-convertible shoulder straps tuck away when not in use, and the lightweight foam back doubles as a seat cushion.
- Customizable Luggage
- Luggage Scale
- Ricardo Elite Roxbury 2.0 Small Carry on Suitcase – I carried this same hard-sided suitcase for over 3 years before it cracked a little for so much use. I travel multiple times a month and I’m hard on suitcases. I was so impressed at how well it held up I replaced my old one with a new one just like it!
- Mickey Mouse Suitcase by American Tourister – This has been Eden’s go-to suitcase for years! It’s hard-sided and expands a lot.
I will never not travel without a jewelry holder again. It’s so nice to never lose jewelry pieces and never have them break. This one is my current favorite.
- Roll up jewelry travel organizer: Specially design for earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, watch, pendant, brooches, and other jewelry accessories.
- Unique design: 3 straps with snaps and a bottom pocket to keep necklaces or chains from tangling. The magic strap is designed to keep necklaces in one place.
- Folding jewelry organizer is the ideal size, perfect for travel, easy to put in your handbag, luggage, or backpack.
- Made of soft, durable cotton canvas material
If you suffer from motion sickness this is a fantastic option. I wear mine all the time because I have motion sickness so bad I get it on planes.
- Active Vapors Help Keep Your Toothbrush Clean & Fresh!
- Works on Regular & Electric Toothbrushes.
- Lasts 3 Months.
- Clip-On Protector
Travel necessities for Parents
- Inflatable life jacket for kids – never put yourself in a situation where you do not have a life jacket when you need one!
- 6 Travel Items Parents need
- Doona Car Seat Stroller Review; The Ideal Travel Stroller
I enjoy using a GoPro so much we have four now, one for each of us!
This is the point-and-shoot camera I use when I want to carry a small camera instead.
My videos were always too shaky until I started using this. 100% improvement!
If you’ve ever wondered how people capture what’s happening above and underwater at the same time, this is how they do it.
- DESIGNED FOR GOPRO HERO 2018, HERO 5, 6, BLACK: Made to provide superior optical performance and beautiful, crisp, colorful shots. Perfect for underwater photography, snorkeling, and water sports.
- ABOVE & BELOW WATER SHOTS: Moving the waterline away from the lens makes it possible to capture images above and below the water simultaneously for amazing split-level, immersive pictures.
- HIGH QUALITY DOME: The crystal clear, acrylic, wide- angle lens offers high visibility to capture vivid images above or below water. Waterproof housing is rated to a depth of 98ft/30m.
- 8″ HAND GRIP: Upgraded floating hand grip is rubber coated for comfort, security, and stability even when hands are wet. Larger grip allows for a more comfortable grasp and improved camera control.
- PISTOL TRIGGER: Trigger grip is designed for simple, one-handed operation of the camera shutter.
All-in-one world travel adapter consists of 1 USB Type-C port & 3 USB ports & 4 Plugs & AC outlet. This travel power plug adapter can charge iPad, iPhone, Android cellphone, smartphone, Laptop, tablet, etc.
Travel Tech Products I USE!
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing so you can connect to your devices wirelessly. Bluetooth range: 10 m
- Noise rejecting dual-microphone system helps reduce the noise around you to deliver clearer calls
- Lightweight neckband design conforms to your body for all-day comfort and wearability
- Lithium-ion battery lets you enjoy up to 10 hours of wireless listening per charge
- Uses plain tap water; no additives necessary
- Lightweight and compact
Light Weight Rain Jacket
This lightweight Marmot rain jacket is my go-to rain jacket for the last 6.5 years. It folds up so small I can stick it inside a shoe. Although it’s thin it keeps you warm. Sometimes a little too warm, but the armpits have vents you can open to help you not overheat.
- A time-tested classic, the waterproof PreCip® Jacket keeps you dry and features a lightweight design for travel-friendly use.
- PreCip® microporous polyurethane coating creates a waterproof barrier that allows vapor molecules to escape, but doesn’t allow larger liquid molecules to enter.
- Fully seam-sealed to prevent water from seeping inwards.
- Roll-away hood with hook-and-loop tab. DriClime®-lined chin guard prevents chafing. Hook-and-loop storm flap over full-zip front closure. Angel-Wing Movement™ allows arms full range of motion.
- PitZips™ under arms rapidly dissipate heat when opened.
- Two zip hand pockets.
- Drawcord hem and adjustable hook-and-loop cuffs keep the cold out. PreCip® 2.5L 100% nylon ripstop.
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry low.
Travel Products Freshen Up at the Airport
Travel Products Just for the Kids
Random Travel Products:
- Panasonic Home Monitoring System – This allows you to watch your house from anywhere in the world.
- Nest Hello – Allows you to monitor who rings your doorbell or comes onto your front porch.
- Nest Yale Lock – This keyless entry system allows you to unlock your door from anywhere in the world and set access codes for house sitters.
- Cortisone 10 for bug bites and sunburn
- Hiking Gear
Enjoy the comfort and relaxation of a hammock wherever you go with HomEco’s durable travel-lightweight hammock. This hammock packs down into a small bag that is attached to the side. This makes it easy to take anywhere in the world with you.
- Made with nylon parachute fabric and designed to hold up to 400 lbs.
- Sleep, nap or just relax the day away in this go-anywhere swinging hammock.
- This is an EASY-TO-CLEAN hammock that can be machine-washed and hung up to dry.
I keep a booty band in my suitcase, so I can workout where ever I am including in a hotel room.
GYMBANDIT’s Heavy Set is a trio of ultra-heavy bands consists of 3 levels with estimated weights as follows:
Level I (1.5mm): 45-60lbs
Level II (1.7mm): 60-80lbs
Level III (2.0mm): 80-100lbs
Travel Items to Help with Sleeping
Do not drag around a large sleep apnea machine, instead get a DreamStation by Philips. This is a lightweight CPAP machine and will take up hardly any space in your suitcase.
If you have trouble falling asleep and do not want to take a prescription pill this is a great choice.
Also, used to help you fall asleep.
White Noise App
I have a free white noise app we use to help block out noise on flights and in hotel rooms. I use the Relax Melodies and set it to white noise and slow waves.
My kids go to pillows for the airplane and road trips are their Pillow Pets. They fold up well to accommodate odd spaces.
At this point, I use a cheap sleeping mask on the plane, in hotel rooms, during road trips, and at home. These are somewhat easy to lose, I recommend keeping the sleeping masks they hand out on overnight flights.
Cloudz Cool Gel & Bamboo Memory Foam Travel Pillow
- FILLED WITH EXCLUSIVE, ULTRA-PREMIUM Comforlite™ MICROBEADS.
- DUAL COMFORT OPTIONS!! One side of the pillow you is Refreshing Cool Gel Technology and on the other side is Soft Cozy Plush.
- INFUSED WITH BAMBOO. Bamboo regulates your body temperature to help prevent you from becoming too hot or too cold. Stay perfectly comfortably on your journey!