Have you ever had a camera that you just adore?
I do! It’s my GoPro. I like it so much that I carry 4 different types of GoPros with me when we travel, including the Hero version and the Session version. (No, I am not kidding. One for each of us!)
Last year I found myself in Honduras climbing waterfalls and snorkeling in amazing reefs and I didn’t have a waterproof camera. Trust me, you do not want this to be you, it is so painful to do all that cool stuff and capture none of it. I only wish I had one of these cameras then.
After doing some research I decided to get a GoPro Hero 3. After using this camera the last few months I now consider it one of my must have items while traveling. Since using this camera I have used many other types of GoPros. I personally do not like the Session models as much, but I love all the rest of them. If you do end up with a Session I recommend watching a couple of tutorial videos to avoid many of the mistakes I’ve made with them.
Right now you can buy a GoPro with a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.
They also have a sweet trade-in deal. Trade in an old GoPro and get $100 off any new camera purchase!
Why I love my GoPro
I could go on and on about why I love this camera, but I will give you the shortlist.
- Waterproof: You can actually swim underwater with this camera.
- Durable: It’s made well and it’s got a great shape. The salt will not negatively affect it, which is a big issue for their competitors.
- Picture quality: The pictures I have taken with this camera have come out bright and clear.
- Video: Yes, that’s right, it even takes video and it’s good video! Here is a video I took in Jamaica when the kids and I did snuba.
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- App: The app is super easy to use. The app works with all GoPros, not just one model.
- Accessories: They have made all kinds of accessories for pretty much any possible situation you would need your GoPro in.
- Live Stream with Periscope: Now that I have a GoPro Hero 4 I can live stream on Twitter!
GoPro Photography Tips
After using a GoPro since 2014 I have some advice.
- Underwater, face the camera up and attempt to utilize the sunlight coming from above the water.
- When taking just one photo at a time keep your hand as still as possible so the photos are not blurry. If you struggle with this, consider taking a burst instead.
- To keep the case clean or the front of the camera clean in the water you can lick it. (No, I am not kidding.)
GoPro Video Tips
I have an extremely hard time being too unstable when I video. If the video is too shaky then I cannot use the video. I tend to take better videos with the GoPro attached to something else, especially a small stick. This is the GoPro stick I use the most.
How to Live Stream with a GoPro
In order to live stream, you will need an iPhone 5S or newer with iOS 8.2 or above. The GoPro will need to be a GoPro Hero 4 Silver or Black or one of newer GoPros.
1. Install the GoPro app from the App Store onto your iPhone. Follow the instructions it shows you to pair your GoPro with your iPhone.
2. After pairing, Go to Settings App > Wifi > Select your GoPro
3. Open Periscope and tap the Broadcast tab to begin your broadcast. Notice the Go-Pro camera toggle. (You will need to install the Periscope app, set up an account, and connect it to your Twitter account.)
I do not live stream a lot, but it’s super fun to live stream when I am skiing with the kids. Here’s one of the live streams I did while skiing up on Mt. Hood.
— Meagan Wristen (@MeaganWristen) April 14, 2018
One of the coolest things you can do with a GoPro is taking a photo that shows what is happening underwater and above the water at the same time. You will need a photography dome made by Telesin. It’s a simple device that you put your GoPro inside. Then when you are in the water you position it halfway in the water and you end up with some super cool looking photos.
Cheaper Waterproof Cameras
If a GoPro is out of your price range there are several alternatives.
My favorite waterproof camera that isn’t a GoPro is an EZVIZ Sport Camera is a great alternative. It is substantially cheaper. You can find them on Amazon for less than $60. It has surprisingly good photo quality.
I have also used the Panasonic A500. It’s fine and you can check out my review of it, but I don’t really recommend it after getting a GoPro.
At one point I also had a Kodak Playsport. The way it shared on social was amazing, but the first time I took it in saltwater, it never worked again. So, I cannot recommend it. I researched to find out if this is a common issue and it is. Nowadays every camera basically has an app that can connect it to your phone, so it no longer matters if the camera offers social sharing from the menu.
Regardless of which waterproof camera you decide to get, you will be so glad to have one on your next adventure.