Why Kids Need An Annual Eye Exam
As you get your children ready to go back to school, don’t forget that getting them an annual comprehensive eye exam. I say this, because I learned the hard way. My daughter was diagnosed by an optometrist in 2010 with Vernal Conjunctivitis, this was after taking her to 8 doctors. If I had been getting her annual eye exams, we would have caught this way sooner. We were really lucky that her vision was able to fully recover. She sees a pediatric ophthalmologist every few months now and insurance, thankfully, covers all her visits.
Annual eye exams are important for everyone in your family. They allow eye doctors to detect early signs of health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, among others.
1. Parents should take their children to the eye doctor for a comprehensive eye exam starting as young as six months old, then again at three years old, before kindergarten and every year after that.
2. In-school screenings do not provide the same level of detection as comprehensive eye exams.
3. 80% of what we learn is through our eyes, making an eye exam essential for your back-to-school “to do” list.
4. Common signs of vision problems include squinting, head tilting, avoiding “close work,” trouble focusing, continuous rubbing of eyes, excessive blinking, and headaches.
5. 1 in 4 children has an undetected vision condition that can negatively impact learning.
Should you get vision insurance?
With VSP Vision Care, you can:
1.Keep your eyes healthy with highly credentialed doctors who provide the most thorough exams.
2.Save money – the average VSP member saves approximately $320 each year with vision insurance!
3.Get access to great eyewear – more than two dozen brands and hundreds of styles to choose from!
About VSP Vision Care (VSP)
As the only national not-for-profit in vision care, VSP reinvests in the things its nearly 60 million members value most – the best care at the lowest out-of-pocket costs. With a network of 30,000 doctors and highest credentialing requirements, VSP members have the freedom to choose the provider, location, and eyewear that’s right for them. It’s easy to see why VSP is consumers’ #1 choice in vision care.
SeeMuchMore.com is a one-stop site for all the information you need about enrolling in vision benefits. The site includes a virtual savings calculator to estimate your savings with VSP vision benefits and helpful information about maintaining healthy vision.